Almond, Pear and Olive Oil Cake
3 small pears
1 cup of brown sugar (plus 2 tablespoons to sprinkle over the pears)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of buttermilk
juice of 1 mandarine
1 cup of almond flour (almond meal)
1-1/2 cup of self-raising flour (gluten free flour will also work)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C (350 F)
2. Line a round cake tin with baking paper. Sprinkle the base with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and a little cinnamon
3. Cut the pears into two, scoop out the core, then cut each half into two, lenghtways. Line the base of the cake tin with the pears.
4. Beat the eggs with sugar until fluffy, add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, oil, buttermilk and mandarine juice and whisk well. Add the almond flour and the sifted self-raising flour and gently incorporate them into the batter without over mixing. Pour the batter over the pears and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
5. Turn up side down and leave to cool on a rack for 30-45 minutes before serving. Enjoy as it is or with vanilla gelato, cream or thick Greek yoghurt.
Watch Made in Italy with Silvia Colloca, on DVD
Silvia’s Cucina the cookbook is available in stores and online!
Silvia’s new book Made in Italy with Silvia Colloca is on sale now!