Welcome to Everybody Loves Italian. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Asparagus Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen hard-cooked eggs
- 12 spears baby asparagus, bottoms trimmed
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh mint
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil, then add the asparagus and quickly blanch for 30 seconds. Immediately remove the asparagus from the boiling water and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well.
- Cut off the tips, slice the tips in half lengthwise and reserve for garnish.
- Slice the stems (you should have about 1/2 cup) and purée in a food processor with the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and salt, until smooth.
- Halve the eggs lengthwise and transfer the yolks to a mixing bowl.
- Set the white halves on a platter, cover and refrigerate.
- With a fork, mash the yolks to a smooth consistency. Add the puréed asparagus mixture and mix until smooth. (You can also do this using an electric mixer with a whip attachment.) Stir in the mint and onion. Taste and season accordingly.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a plain or large star tip, then pipe the mixture evenly into the egg-white halves. Or fill the eggs with a spoon, dividing the filling evenly. Top each half with one of the reserved asparagus tips.