Christmas Cartellate From Puglia
Ingredients for 6/8 people:
- 1 kg. of flour
- 200 g. of dry white wine
- 100 g. of olive oil
- olive oil for frying
- 1 kg. of grape must (or cooked figs)
- cinnamon powder
- powdered cloves
- Mix the flour with the oil and the wine and if the dough becomes too hard, add a little ‘of warm water. Continue to manipulate to obtain a soft and velvety dough.
- Take small pieces and create some loaves, flatten them and create some disks. Cut strips of 4 cm high and the length of about 30 cm.
- Each of these must be folded in two and joined with the fingers at a distance of 3 cm to create some hollows; roll up on themselves and form the corollas of 5-8 cm diameter.
- Cartellate so created must dry for 10-12 hours in a dry place.
- After, in a pan with hot oil, fry 4-5 at a time, until will be golden. Then put to dry on a sheet of absorbent paper. Heat the pan with the must and immerse in cartellate without boiling.
- After a few minutes remove cartellate from the container and place them in long and low dishes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and finely chopped cloves.
Preparation time: 1 day and 2 hours, 30 minutes, 0 seconds