Homemade Potato Gnocchi – Written Recipe
Homemade Potato Gnocchi
Homemade Potato Gnocchi: the Classic Italian Gnocchi Recipe
Potato Gnocchi are Italian soft dough dumplings, perfect with a good tomato sauce. Read out how to make the real Italian Potato Gnocchi.
This potato gnocchi recipe is simple and quite quick.
If you’re wondering how long it takes to make the gnocchi, you must know that the step that requires more time is boiling potatoes (30-40 minutes). The preparation takes you just 15 minutes (yet if it is the first time, it can takes more!). Once ready, they have to rest for 20 minutes, and then they will take jsut a few minutes to cook.
To make this gnocchi recipe use old potatoes, because they absorb less water.
Usually you can read that the best potatoes to make homemade gnocchi are Majestic and Kennebec, white potatoes, but you can also use
How to Make Gnocchi
- Wash the potatoes.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 35-40 minutes. To check if they are ready, pierce them with a toothpick: if it enters the potato without much effort it is ready.
- Peel and smash them with a fork or with a ricer.
- Add the salt and mix.
- Make a well into the flour and add the potato mix and the egg.
- Knead with your hands until getting a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into slices and roll each piece by pushing with spread fingers.
- Cut the rolls into very small pieces as in the picture.
- Let them rest for 20 minutes before cooking.
How to Cook Gnocchi
Boil them in salted water, cook until they float. Wait a minute and drain the gnocchi using a slotted spoon.
Season your dish with a gnocchi sauce recipe: you can use the tomato and basil sauce, like in gnocchi alla sorrentina recipe, or a mushroom sauce, a four cheese sauce, or a gorgonzola sauce, or if you prefer, you can prepare a fresh sauce with cherry tomatoes, zucchini, basil and shrimps.
How to make the traditional gnocchi stripes?
Roll the gnocchi on the back of a fork.