Savory Stuffed Pork Chops
2 (8-ounce) pork rib chops, about 1-inch thick
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup crumbled, toasted cornbread (or cornbread stuffing mix)
1/2 cup finely diced green apple, peeled, if desired
2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons chicken stock
2 Tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Turn chops on side, and using a sharp knife, cut a pocket in each chop.
- Combine sage, salt and pepper, and pat it into chops. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a large, ovenproof skillet.
- Add onion and celery and cook over medium-high until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in cornbread, apples and cranberries and 2 Tablespoons chicken stock. Divide stuffing between chops. If there is extra stuffing, wrap it in foil and bake to be served with the pork chops. Wipe the pan clean.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add stuffed pork chops and cook several minutes until caramelized and golden brown on both sides.
- Finish pork chops by baking, placing the skillet in the oven and bake 30-40 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, reduce remaining 1 cup stock to 1/2 cup. When chops are done, remove from oven and place on warm plate.
- Pour bourbon into skillet and reduce by half.
- Stir in stock and Apple Cranberry Chutney.
- Bring to a boil and stir to heat through. Spoon over chops and serve.