Italian Anisette Cookies for St Patrick’s Day
Ingredients Needed for Cookies
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. shortening
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. anise extract (can use vanilla or lemon extract instead)
Ingredients Needed for Glaze
Directions For cookies
- Melt butter and shortening together.
- Add the sugar; mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the anise extract.
- Sift or whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture gradually. If the dough is too sticky to roll in the palm of your hand, add flour until firmer, but it should be very soft.
- Roll dough into 3/4″balls (these tend to really puff up with all the baking powder in them!) and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake @ 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes (the bottom should be lightly browned but the tops should remain light).
- Remove cookies to wire rack and cool completely before glazing.
- Mix milk GRADUALLY into confectioners’ sugar to make a thick glaze… make sure to keep it on the thick side.
- Dip top of each cookie into glaze.
- Sprinkle with Green nonpareils while glaze is still wet.
- I usually dip 10-12 cookies, return them to the wire rack (with wax paper under the racks to aid in clean up!) and then sprinkle those cookies before starting to dip more.